Training - LTE Protocol and Signalling
- Duration: 2 Days
- Inhouse training price: Based on number of participants
- Public training price: Depending on partner organisation
- See training schedule
LTE constitutes the new 3GPP standard that makes use of OFDMA/SC-FDMA based access technologies in combination with MIMO antenna technologies. The LTE standard also defines a new-layer 2/3 protocol architecture that may at an instant process very high data rates now part of the base station (Node B) and new signaling procedures for call control and mobility management in the Mobility Management Entity (MME). LTE is based on a flat, simplified all IP-based architecture with a reduced number of network entities, a new Quality of Service concept and the support of seamless mobility between heterogeneous access networks. As a result of use of LTE, capacity, peak data rates, user and control-plane latency and deployment cost may be expected to be improved substantially whilst at the same time minimizing terminal complexity. 3GPP has completed standardization and first LTE networks are already in operation.
This training course will provide participants with a detailed understanding of the LTE protocol and signaling as defined in the 36 series of 3GPP specification Release 8. After recapitulating Physical-Layer fundamentals, the course will introduce the LTE user and control-plane architecture. RRC, PDCP, RLC and MAC protocols will be explained in detail and an overview will be given of the various channels defined at the various layers. Eventually, exemplary procedures will be presented for initial access, connection set-up, bearer configuration and hand-over. Next, the course will provide participants with an overview of LTE architecture with various network entities and interfaces of the Evolved Packet Core as well as the underlying QoS concept. Non access stratum procedures such as Mobility Management and Session Management will be presented and specific examples will be mentioned.
SYSTEM DEMONSTRATION TOOLS
Instead of inviting participants to another theoretical training course, Nomor Research will provide participants with a genuine hands-on training experience involving the use of various interactive demonstration tools. After using the tools, your employees will really understand complex system aspects such as message flows and the primitive exchange between layers and entities. By looking at the demonstrations, participants will understand the difference between theoretical and real deployments, real implementation, real performance!
Day 1- eNB Protocol Stack Architecture
• Recapitulating LTE air interface based on OFDMA/SC-FDMA
• Physical layer numerology, processing chain and procedures
• LTE transport channel, physical data channel and control channel
• eNode B user and control plane architecture
• Radio Resource Control (RRC) functions and protocol
• Packet Data Convergence Protocol (PDCP) functions and protocol
• Radio Link Control (RLC) functions and protocol
• Medium Access Control (MAC) functions and protocol
• Logical channel, transport channel and physical channel structure
• Broadcast channel and overview of system information
• Initial access with RRC Connection Setup and RRC Reconfiguration procedure
• LTE Handover procedure during RRC_CONNECTED state
• Introduction to future Self-Organizing Networks (SON)
Day 2 - LTE Architecture and Signalling
• LTE/SAE network architecture and functional split
• Network topology and deployment options
• QoS architecture, QoS bearer and attributes
• Mobility and Session Management protocols
• NAS signaling procedures as initial access
• IDLE state mobility procedure and tracking updates
• Gateway functionality within Evolved Packet Core
• S1 and X2 interface application protocols
• GTP and SCTP transport protocols
• Tracking area update procedure
• Home Node B concept and deployment
• Requirements and standardization of LTE Advanced and 4G
• 4G technologies as carrier aggregation, relaying, cooperative scheduling
PREREQUISITES OF THE STUDENTS
This is an expert's training course. Some experience with the LTE technology is essential before attending this training course! The participation in the 3 days LTE Technology training is highly recommended.
Feel free to contact us for further information.